Now that the mancave is nearing completion, Hubs has been enjoying his new TV in total bliss. What isn’t blissful is the myriad of remotes he needs to operate everything and the places he leaves them. They are an eyesore when they’re laying on the couch or scattered around the room, but can quite literally be a pain in the derriere when I accidentally sit on one!
When I looked on Pinterest for some awe inspiring ideas, I couldn’t find a single one. As a matter of fact, every remote control holder was downright ugly and utilitarian.
Hubs has built a few items for his new digs out of black iron gas pipe so what better way to tie it all together than to make him a remote control holder out of the same material?
We found a great source for 1/8″ pipe and fittings; as a matter of fact we bought out the company’s entire supply just so we could play with a few other ideas too!
I started playing with the configuration, size and scale of the holder. Once I had a configuration I was happy with, I scrounged around my craft studio for something to support the remotes in the centre. For that I found two different widths of horsehair braid (the type that’s used to trim the inside of a hat).
I applied the narrow braid on top of the wider one, which acted as a backing, and secured them both to one side of the pipe. Then I measured my remotes to determine how big the opening needed to be for each one. I left slack in the top piece to accommodate each remote and fastened it to the backing it with a pin so I ended up with ‘loops’. I fastened the braid to the other side of the pipe, again using a pin.
I slid the braid off of the pipes, then I used a very specialized piece of equipment to permanently secure it where I placed my pins – a stapler! It not only does the trick, but it works well with the industrial look I was going for.
The tricky part was getting the remotes to rest properly on the bottom of the pipe since it is curved. I had an epiphany that solved my dilemma – magnetic hooks! Magnets stick to iron and I remembered I had some in my stash.
Luckily I had two packs, because I needed four of them! By positioning the magnets on the back of the pipe along the bottom, and tilting it toward the back, it gave me the perfect angle to rest the remotes on.
Here’s how it looks from the back:
Here’s a sneak peak of the mancave and the remote control holder – you’ll see more of the mancave on the video! I’ll have the full Mancave reveal on my sister blog, Birdz of a Feather Home, soon.
By the way, the remote control caddy is now right beside the couch in my Husband’s mancave so his remotes are close-at-hand – not by the TV as shown in the picture above and video below. I only positioned it by the TV for ease of filming it in use 🙂
Watch the video to see just how easy this industrial remote control holder was to put together!
Speaking of the Mancave, now that it’s done, we’ve remodelled the TV room upstairs too. Here’s a before and after shot of what we did to our corner fireplace.
You can find the remodel here.
If you haven’t already subscribed to my Youtube channel, click this link. I’ve got videos of all my cool projects – including a time lapse video of how I did this duct tape pop art portrait of Elvis. I’ll be posting a full tutorial on the how-to once I get more subscribers to my Youtube channel, so if you want to see it, subscribe today!
NOTE: For anyone who isn’t crafty but is interested in purchasing a remote ready made, I’m now selling these in my brand new Etsy Shop at this link. I’ll be making these to order, but only black-on-black – not the black/white combo shown here.
If you enjoyed this post, please pin and share. And don’t forget to follow right here on Birdz of a Feather or via Bloglovin’ for more great hacks and crafty projects. You can find a complete listing of projects on my Homepage.